Saturday 20 August 2011

Using the Present Continuous for future Meaning

I am doing ( present continuous )
She is teaching
She isn't cooking



It's sunny
It isn't raining




They're eating
They aren't working.



The present continuous is:
am / is / are  + / eating / running / working etc


I        am  (not)         - ing

he
she     is  (not)           - ing
it

we
you     are (not)         - ing
they

Something is happening now

The students aren't horse riding, they're bowling.

Look at Marta, she's learning to spin.

Claire is waiting with the paparazzi for Bono (U2) to leave the Royal Crescent Hotel in Bath.




Present Continuous for a future meaning

This is my diary for the week.

Today is Saturday. I am going to Wells with Manuel.
On Sunday I am teaching and if it's not raining, I will be gardening in the afternoon.
On Monday I am going to the dentist.
On Thursday I am visiting my mother.
On Saturday I am seeing my sister and going to the Mulberry shop. 

In all these examples, I have already decided to do these things.

I am doing something (tomorrow ) = I have already decided and arranged to do it.

What are you doing today ?  - Not What do you do today.

Today I am going to Wells with Manuel. We are going to look around the Cathedral and the Farmer' Market and eating at either The Old Spot, Goodfellows or The Swan Hotel at lunch time.

Images of Wells


The Farmer's market and Europe's oldest street, ( according to the town crier).

 The Penniless Porch, (where it's ok to beg!)




Wells Cathedral and the Cathedral green.



Visiting Priest's Row with Yvonne, a German student from Cologne .




The Bishop's Palace


Playing crocquet on the lawn in front of the Bishop's Palace.












How are you spending your Saturday ?


No comments:

Post a Comment