Saturday 17 September 2011

Week 2

Anne Hathaway's House
Studywise, we continued reading and discussing our short stories.
On Tuesday we visited Frome, Sabine met my mother and my brother Bernard and his wife, Petra, who is also German. Although all conversation had to be in English!

Sabine and my mother and I went for a walk around Shearwater lake

On Wednesday evening we went to The Halfway House to listen to a visiting Blue Grass Band called 'Telegraph Road'.



Band members -

Charlie Edsall ( Lake Tahoe - California) on guitar....he is a postman 'back home'
Craig Mosely ( Hitterdal - Minnesota) Bass Fiddle
Seth Mulder ( Louisville - Kentucky) on a kind of small guitar thing
and
Johnny Butten  - originally from Taunton and now from Hawley - Minnesota on Banjo,
come to visit the 'old folks' back home.

Johhny actually holds the Guiness World record as fastest banjo player.

I asked Helen, ( Charlie's wife and a dental technician), if she knew my Camenzuli cousins over in the US of A, but unfortunately she didn't.



I would, at this point, like to add some  Duelling Banjo music to give you a flavour of the evening, but  need  some help from Marta with this.





                   A happy person on the fiddle.



Dave from Langport 

On Thursady afternoon, Sabine and I visited the Cotswolds.

We had been reading Evelyn Waugh's, 'An Englishman's Home', which was set in a quaint village in the Cotswolds and came in search of one.



Driving into the village of Bourton - on - the -Water


An area of 'Outstanding beauty'.

A sunny and warm early Autumn afternoon.




Stowe on the Wold

Cotswold stone is warm and yellow




Sabine, sitting and enjoying the beauty of it all.

Moreton in Marsh


Everywhere I go I catch a glimpse of my father




We then drove to Stratford-upon-Avon to Anne Hathaway's Cottage


From the Guest Book:

Dear Carol,

First of all I want to thank you for a wonderful time in Street. As an experienced teacher you always knew how to combine hard work with fun. The lessons with you were sometimes challenging, but they should be like that, shouldn't they? However, I enjoyed them and I really feel a bit sad that I have to leave for home tomorrow.

I will never forget the wonderful excursions to all the gorgeous places, our evnings in the pubs with live music and the tears that rolled down my cheeks after extensive reading ( do you remember, it was the novel 'Of Mice and Men'...).

Thank you again for everything, for all the conversation, for your hospitality, and of-course, your warm-hearted personality.

Hope you will come to Germany one day.

Sabine





No comments:

Post a Comment